Arts Management Focus
The SAEM department builds upon the strength of Point Park's nationally-ranked Conservatory of Performing Arts — a perfect platform for training on the business side of this career path. SAEM courses in arts management have helped aspiring musicians launch their careers and provided dancers with skills in studio business operations.
Additionally, Pittsburgh's Cultural District is just blocks away from campus, offering students with the opportunity to work in theatre, ballet, opera and dance. The Carnegie Museums, the Carnegie Science Center and the Andy Warhol Museum are also nearby.
SAEM Alumni Working in Arts Management
Our SAEM alumni can be found throughout the nation working in the arts management field. They include:
- Kady Chambers, director of booking at Broadway Across America in Baltimore
- Emily McCoy, manager of donor relations for the Pittsburgh Public Theater
- Kimberly Prelosky, manager of artistic operations, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
- Mallory Schirr, marketing and media relations manager at University Musical Society in Chicago
- Hugh Stumpp, associate house manager at Jujamcyn Theaters in N.Y.C.
- Rachel Winkler, development operations assistant for the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in NYC
Arts Faculty, Course Work and Internships
Faculty teaching arts management focused courses include Teresa Gregory, M.F.A., C.F.R.E., arts administrator and fundraising expert, and David Rowell, M.F.A., experienced theatre arts and venue manager. Embedded in Point Park University's Pittsburgh Playhouse, SAEM students get hands-on experience working in the box office, front of house and guest services and learn performance marketing/advertising techniques.
Arts management courses in the SAEM major include:
- Advanced Fundraising
- Essential Fundraising Principles
- Nonprofit Performing Arts
- Performing Arts Presenting and Touring
- Producing for Broadway and Regional Theatre
- Production Management
- Stage Management I
Additionally, a full-semester internship, working with industry professionals, is required to complete the SAEM degree program. Multiple internships throughout the program are encouraged.
Learn more about the SAEM major.