Honors Student Organization
Honors Student Organization Provides Leadership, Volunteer Opportunities
The Honors Student Organization is a student-run group for Honors Program members and students of any major. Beginning freshman year, students in HSO can apply for a leadership role, volunteer to serve on a committee, as well as lead projects and activities.
HSO students lead numerous leadership and volunteer activities throughout the year, including:
- Alternative Spring Break (past trips included helping nonprofits in New York City).
- Annual 9/11 remembrance and Flight 93 National Memorial visit
- Annual Pittsburgh Great Race volunteering
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Dreams projects
- National Collegiate Honors Council and Northeast Regional conferences
- Pittsburgh cultural and professional meetings and events
- Storytelling and Human Rights Symposium
- Susan G. Komen fundraiser
- "Welcome to Honors" orientation program before classes begin
HSO has regular meetings throughout the semester, along with other activities and events. Check out information about meeting dates and locations on the HSO Facebook page.
HSO Executive Board Members
- President: Mya Burns, multimedia major
- President-elect: Ben Reinke, English major
- Graduate Assistant: Colin Parrish, M.B.A.
- Secretary: Sara Buchdahl, theatre arts major with a stage-management minor
- Treasurer: Marie Dunlea, dance (jazz) major with a musical theatre minor
- Academic Events Coordinator: Alexis Bonifate, political science major with a mass communication minor
- Social Events Coordinator: Sarah Juba, public relations and advertising major
- Service Events Coordinator: Will Cobb, musical theatre major
- Marketing and Social Media Coordinator: Kate LaBelle, multimedia major with a public relations and advertising minor