B.A. in Writing for Screen and Media
- The B.A. in writing for screen and media is an innovative program that offers an intense focus on screenwriting, as well as exposure to a variety of the latest media writing platforms to prepare students for employment as professional media writers/screenwriters.
- This interdisciplinary program includes writing courses in cinema, business and communication. Students will use their skills to write web series, interactive texts, promotional videos, industrials and gaming, as well as be prepared for writing positions in advertising, journalism and business management.
- B.A. students are required to complete 120 credits. For a comprehensive list of program requirements, see the B.A. degree requirements.
B.F.A. in Screenwriting
- The B.F.A. in screenwriting offers a rigorous immersion into the craft of screenwriting, requiring students to participate in a year-long thesis course and to create a portfolio of materials. The B.F.A. couples well with Point Park's M.F.A. in writing for the screen and stage program.
- Students complete work in at least three specialized areas: feature film, television, animation, web series, etc.
- B.F.A. students are required to complete 128 credits. For a comprehensive list of program requirements, see the B.F.A. degree requirements.
Collaboration and Integration
The programs provide opportunities for collaboration with other writers, filmmakers and animators. Writers will see their ideas brought to life on a variety of mediums and gain intimate knowledge of the industry and its structure. Writers will also have the opportunity to make films, and, by directing actors and composing shots, they can more fully realize the possibilities of visual storytelling.
Students will explore and write:
- Feature screenplays
- Television scripts
- Writing for animation
- Web series
- Stage plays
- Broadcast journalism
- Advertising copy
- Public relations features
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in the screenwriting major. Some of the courses in the screenwriting program include:
- Acting and Directing for Writers and Filmmakers
- TV Animation Writing
- Classical and Modern Drama
- Intermediate and Advanced Screenwriting
- Rewriting the Feature Screenplay
- Story Analysis
- Writing the Adaptation
- Writing the Hour Drama
- Writing for Multimedia/Web Series
- Writing the Situation Comedy
- Video Game Writing