Skip to main content

Reporting Crimes and Other Emergencies

  • Dial ext. 2222 from any campus phone to report a crime in progress and/or other emergency.
  • To report any crime or any emergency using a cell phone, dial 412-392-3960 for immediate attention and response.
  • Text messages to the Tip411 App to request help in an emergency

To report a crime or an emergency

Main Campus: (Academic, Thayer and Lawrence Halls, Pioneer Suites, Conestoga Suites, University Center, Student Center, Boulevard Apartments, Frontier Hall, Student Center, Patterson Building and Pittsburgh Playhouse): call Public Safety Dispatch Center at Extension 2222 from any campus phone. If using a cell phone, call 412-392-3960. The call will be answered at the Public Safety Dispatch Center, which is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

The public safety officer at the Dispatch Center will take the required action, either dispatching a police officer to the location or asking the victim to report to the dispatch center to file an incident report. When a serious crime is involved, the Public Safety dispatcher will call 911 for the Pittsburgh Police to assist the University police officers.

Pittsburgh Playhouse: Contact the Campus Public Safety Dispatch Center at (412-392-3960 from off campus, and ext. 2222 from on campus). The dispatch officer will contact the Playhouse desk attendant and dispatch them to your location.

When reporting a crime or incident please provide as much information as possible, including:

  • Details of what happened;
  • Specific location;
  • Identity and/or description of person(s) involved;
  • Date and time of the incident.

Be as specific as possible when giving any information to the Public Safety dispatcher, such as your description of person(s) and victim(s). Police officers will complete written reports of any incidents that occur on campus or other mandated areas. Follow-up investigations are conducted, and the Pittsburgh Police are notified, when appropriate. Reports are kept on file in the Department of Public Safety and copies are distributed to the appropriate University departments. Reports that involve violation of the Student Code of Conduct will be referred to the director of judicial affairs for review and potential action.

In addition to reporting crimes to the University's Department of Public Safety, you may also report a crime to the following designated individuals:

  • Assoc. Vice President & Dean of Students 412-392-3840, 714 Student Center
  • Dean of Student Life 412-392-8027, 7th floor, Student Center
  • Director of Student Life 412-392-8028, 1st floor, Pioneer Hall
  • Director, Student Development, 412-392-8029, 711 Student Center
  • Vice President, Human Resources, 412-392-4727, 709 Frontier Hall
  • Associate Provost, 412-392-3983, Academic Hall

Confidential Reporting Procedures

If you are the victim of a crime and do not want to pursue action through University channels or the criminal justice system, you may still want to consider making a confidential report. You can file a report on the details of the incident to the Department of Public Safety or with one of the designated University officials and request that your identity not be revealed. The purpose of a confidential report is to comply with your wish to keep the matter confidential, while taking steps to ensure the future safety of yourself and others.

With such information, the University can keep accurate records of the number of incidents involving students, staff and faculty, determine whether there is a pattern of crime with regard to a particular location, method, or assailant, and alert the campus community to potential danger. Reports filed in this manner are counted and disclosed in the University's annual crime statistics.

Reporting Medical Emergencies

In the event of a medical emergency, notify the Department of Public Safety Dispatch Center at extension 2222 or 412-392-3960. For medical non-emergencies, the University nurse, ext. 3800, can be directly contacted during normal business hours. When emergency medical treatment response is needed, a police officer will be dispatched to assess the situation. If emergency medical treatment is needed, the public safety dispatcher will call 911 and request response by Pittsburgh Emergency Medical Services.

Mental Health Counseling

Point Park University provides a personal counselor for any student seeking the service. This service includes individual sessions with the University counselor, as well as referral and, where appropriate, coordination of care with outside providers. Also, students may call Resolve at 1-888-796-8226 24 hours a day.