TITLE: Managing Director of University Marketing and Public Relations
DEPARTMENT: Marketing and Communications
REPORTS TO: Vice President for External Affairs
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Develops and manages media relations programs and outreach efforts at the local and national levels; plays a lead role in crisis communication and issues management; identifies public relations and storytelling opportunities; manages key internal communications; and with guidance and input from Vice President for External Affairs serves as an official Point Park spokesperson. As a member of Point Park’s marketing and communications management team, he/she will work collaboratively with Managing Director of Communication and Client Services and together lead the Marketing and Communications Department of the University. Together the pair, along with the Marketing and Communications departmental peers, will provide an integrated program that helps to advance Point Park’s strategic goals.
REQUIREMENTS: Excellent writing and communication skills required. Must have a proven track record in writing and editing, online media placements and executive-level issues management; must be a team player and have strong leadership, management and supervisory skills. A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, or related field is required; experience as a reporter or with a publication or media outlet required. At least 10 years of experience in the communications field (that includes experience specifically in media relations, preferably in academic settings) is required; management experience preferred.
- Serve as the primary public relations professional for the University, identifying stories and outreach opportunities and pursuing them in an aggressive and timely manner.
- Develop and implement a proactive/outbound media outreach plan based on the University’s strategic goals.
- Respond to inbound media inquiries, including assessment, determination of appropriate response, preparation for interviews, coordination of background information, etc.
- Serve as key member of crisis communications/issues management team. In crisis situations, work collaboratively with University leadership, University web team on internal and external communication as needed before, during, and post event.
- Collaborate with managing director of communications and client services to maximize editorial resources.
- Generate news content for all University channels including website, social media, and The Point magazine.
- Be available to create and distribute key internal communications in conjunction with Vice President of External Affairs and/or University President as needed.
- Distribute news releases and pitch communications as appropriate; maintain media contacts database.
- Create and oversee Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications and guide him/her in developing a plan of outreach to a diverse set of local and national media based on University’s strategic goals.
- Manage public relations vendors/contracts/resources.
- Maintain a clippings archive, as well as a running list of stories that have been placed; where they have appeared and the date of publication or broadcast.
- To cover events, as assigned, including those that occur beyond regular office hours.
- Manage the public relations/media pages of University website including news releases, Point Park in the news, media contacts, faculty experts guide and University media kit.
- Build a collaborative network that includes enrollment marketing, web team and others at University to understand emerging stories and enrollment marketing messages as well as understand and help to promote the image of University.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - MANAGING DIRECTOR OF UNIVERSITY MARKETING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS - in the subject line.
Required as a part of application submission: Please submit recent published writing that showcases topics or stories you have covered to provide an idea of writing style and range.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.