Part-Time Staff Benefits Summary
Point Park University is pleased to offer the following package to part-time regular staff:
- Tuition Remission: Undergraduate programs only:
Regular part-time staff are eligible for tuition remission benefits the first semester after 90 days of employment.
Part-time staff members, their spouses/same sex domestic partners, and dependent children may receive partial remission of tuition for undergraduate courses. The amount of remission for a part-time staff member and his/her family members (as defined by our policy and the IRS) in any term will not exceed six undergraduate credits per semester; e.g., a family member could be entitled to remission of the cost of two three-credit courses at the part-time rate or two family members could each be eligible for one three-credit course at the part-time rate.
The student pays 100% of fees, books, and other related expenses. Tuition remission also does not include classes through Community Classes, Pittsburgh Filmmakers, experiential learning credits or study abroad programs.
Note for full-time students who may be eligible for this benefit—The University’s institutional financial aid awarding policy states that the student will retain the higher of the two awards: institutional merit and need based aid or part-time tuition remission benefit. Please contact the financial aid office for details of your financial aid awards.
- Retirement Plan- Supplemental Retirement Annuity (SRA): Eligible the 1st of the month following hire. Does not include matching funds by the University. Contributions withheld monthly on a pre-tax basis, up to IRS legal limits. Employee may choose between two vendors; TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments.
- Retirement Plan- GRA Retirement Plan (GRA): For Part-time staff employees, there is no automatic enrollment. Part-time staff employees become eligible for participation in the Group Retirement Annuity (GRA, matched contribution plan) after completing one year of employment during which at least 1000 “hours of service” are credited. Part-time staff employees must contact Human Resources to enroll.
Part-time staff employees (excluding student workers not subject to FICA taxes, employees paid exclusively on a stipend basis, and adjunct faculty) become eligible for participation in the Group Retirement Annuity (GRA, matched contribution plan) after completing one year of employment during which at least 1000 “hours of service” are credited. In this case, the part-time employee who is credited with at least 1000 hours during his or her first 12 months of employment may enter the plan the month following 12 months of employment providing they notify Human Resources of their intent to participate in the plan. Such employees who are not credited with at least 1000 hours during their first 12 months become eligible only after being credited with at least 1000 hours during any one calendar year that begins after date of hire and if achieved, may enter the plan the first day of the following year.
Example: A part-time staff employee is hired on March 3, 2010. Through March 2, 2011 the employee is credited with less than 1000 hours. The employee is not eligible to enter the plan on April 1, 2011or during the remainder of 2011. Hours credited for the 2011 calendar year are reviewed at the end of 2011. If at least 1000 hours have been credited for the 2011 calendar year, the employee may enter the plan on January 1, 2012. If at least 1000 hours have not been credited during 2011, the employee may not enter the plan earlier than 1/1/2013 and then only if at least 1000 hours are credited for 2012. Subsequent years are reviewed in the same way until the employee meets the minimum 1000-hour requirement during one calendar year.
Employee can contribute 2%, 3%, 4%, or 5% of gross monthly wages; University contributes one and a half times the amount of employee contributions. Employees may contribute more than 5% of wages, but no University match is made on contributions above 5%. Contributions withheld monthly on a pre-tax basis, up to
IRS legal limits. No automatic enrollment. Employee may choose between two vendors; TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments. Employee must contact Human Resources to enroll.
- Howard Hanna Gold Advantage: Home purchase and sale discount at 10% off of gross commission. Seller/Buyer must sign an exclusive listing contract with a Howard Hanna broker. Register for free benefit at www.hannagoldadvantage.com or call 1-800-656-7356 X244. See Howard Hanna website for more details.
- Pittsburgh Playhouse Discount: 20% discount on most performances. Call box office to reserve tickets at 412-621-4445. Also, visit www.pittsburghplayhouse.com for a performance schedule.
- Liberty Mutual: As an employee of Point Park University, you qualify for a special group discount on your auto, home, and renter’s insurance through Liberty Mutual’s Auto and Home Insurance program. This unique program allows you to purchase high-quality auto, home and renters insurance at low group rates with a variety of convenient service and payment options. For a free, no-obligation quote, please contact at (412) 364-1130 ext. 54713 or customer service 1-800-208-3063.
- PNC Bank-Workplace Banking: Employees are eligible for free checking accounts with no minimum balance, free PNC Bank VISA card with direct deposit from your monthly paycheck. There is a PNC ATM on campus. Contact your local PNC Bank Branch to set up your account and mention that you are an employee of the University.
- Direct Deposit of Paycheck into checking or savings account: to enroll, complete form and provide copy of voided check to the Payroll Department.
NOTE: This only represents a summary of the benefits package. A more detailed description appears in the Staff Handbook. If you would like to participate in any of the above programs, please contact Human Resources for corresponding paperwork and controlling plan documents.