What is Conditional Admittance?
- Conditional admittance may be offered to select freshman applicants who do not meet the minimum admissions requirements but show potential for success
- Applicants with lower cumulative GPAs, academic GPAs, class rank, and/or standardized test scores may be offered conditional admittance
- Conditional Admittance requires that students successfully complete the SMART START program and register for English Composition during their freshman year. Furthermore, it is highly recommended that students register for Writing Studio, a one-credit Pass/No Credit course that supplements writing instruction in the core English courses.
What is SMART START?
- SMART START is an intensive program designed to explore key knowledge, skills, and attitudes that increase preparedness for the freshman academic experience
- Students arrive on campus two weeks before the start of the fall semester in order to take course work designed to build information literacy skills and effective learning strategies
- Students also complete preparatory assignments prior to the start of SMART START classes and complete follow-up activities during their first semester
- Students earn 2 elective credits by successfully completing all SMART START requirements
Benefits for SMART START students
- Exploration of qualities that correlate with success during the freshman year and beyond
- Opportunity for self-assessment, goal-setting, and planning for change
- Tips for thriving in an environment that values and encourages academic excellence
- Access to a personal research coach during the freshman year
- Ability to move into the residence halls two weeks early
SMART START Schedule 2014
- Preparatory assignments completed independently prior to the start of the program
- Program orientation scheduled the afternoon of Sunday, Aug. 10
- Classes scheduled Monday, Aug. 11, through Thursday, Aug. 21, from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. daily
- Assigned follow-up activities scheduled during the Fall semester
SMART START Costs
- Fall full-time tuition charges include the tuition for the SMART START program
- $175 food service charge for students moving into the residence halls early for SMART START
- Price of assigned textbooks and materials