Chair of Dance Department
- M.F.A., Dance, University of Maryland
- B.F.A., Dance, State University of New York, Purchase College
- Modern Dance Technique
- Contemporary Partnering
Rubén Graciani is a high school graduate of North Carolina School of the Arts. He went on to study on scholarship at The Julliard School and several major New York dance companies, including the Martha Graham Dance Company and the Merce Cunningham Dance Company.
Graciani graduated from the State University of New York, Purchase College, receiving a B.F.A. in Dance. After graduation, he joined the Mark Morris Dance Group as a contract performer. Additionally, he has performed as a guest artist with the CityDance Ensemble and Brian Brooks Moving Company, and has been a company member of the Kevin Wynn Collection, the Joe Goode Performance Group and Company Stefanie Batten Bland. He is an M.F.A. graduate of the University of Maryland, College Park.
In September 2005, Graciani joined the faculty at Ohio University. While there, he received two Arts for Ohio Choreographic Grants which resulted in the collaboration, Oyster, with composer John Orfe and the Grammy Award-winning new music ensemble, Alarm Will Sound.
Graciani joined the faculty of Skidmore College in September 2008. While at Skidmore, he has collaborated with renowned composer Richard Danielpour, premiered site-specific work at the Tang Museum, worked in collaboration with the Academy ACJW for a performance of L'Histoire du Soldat, and premiered three works for Saratoga ArtsFest.
His company, RG Dance Projects, has performed to acclaim in New York, Pennsylvania, Iowa and Shanghai, among others. He is currently on the nominating committee for the National Dance Museum – Dance Hall of Fame.
- National Dance Museum's Dance Hall of Fame, nominating committee
- New York State Council of the Arts, dance panel, 2010-2013
Selected Artistic Performances/Companies
- Mark Morris Dance Group, performer
- Joe Goode Performance Group, company member
- Company Stefanie Batten Bland, company member
- Kevin Wynn Collection, company member
- Brian Brooks Moving Company, guest artist
- CityDance Ensemble, guest artist
Selected Choreographed Works
- We Fall Down, We Get Up — excerpts, with RG Dance Projects, Steel Stack Performing Arts Center
- Shelter, Tang Teaching Museum
- Shapeshifter, DanceNow New York City's-Joe's Pub Festival
- We Fall Down, We Get Up — RG Dance Projects full season presented at Martha Graham Theater
- Complete This Work Which We Began, dance film screening, the Current Sessions Festival
- Afloat Below the Surface — RG Dance Projects, Cool NY Dance Festival
- Dance films
- Dance entrepreneurship
- Inter-group relations
Selected Awards and Honors
- Audience Favorite Award, Complete This Work Which We Began, 2011
- Phi Kapp Phi Honor Society
Point Park Features
- "Conservatory Dance Company Presents World Premiere of Five," Point Park University website, Feb. 2, 2016.
- "Faculty Q&A: Meet Ruben Graciani, chair and associate professor of dance," Point Park University website, July 10, 2015.
In the News
- "Point Park University Presents Five," KDKA-TV, Feb. 4, 2016.
- "Conservatory Dance Company Explores Human Resilience in Five," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Feb. 3, 2016.
- "Who's Raising the Bar(re) in Pittsburgh Dance in 2016," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jan. 24, 2016.
- "Ruben Graciani Settling in as Head of Point Park Dance Department," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Nov. 22, 2015.
- "Point Park's Dance Company's Byham Program Features Fresh Works, Live Music," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 18, 2015.
- "Dancer's 'Billy Elliott' Story Spins, Lands on Point Park Campus," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Oct. 10, 2014.
- "Point Park Dance Department Aims to Build Upon Success with New Chair (article and video)," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Oct. 5, 2014.