Professor, Business Management
- Bachelor of Science, Psychology/Anthropology, University of Pittsburgh
- M.B.A., Accounting and Finance, University of Pittsburgh
- Doctor of Science, Information Systems and Communications, Robert Morris University
- Human Resources Management
- Introduction to Business
- Tax Accounting
- Business Communications
- Strategic Planning
- Principles of Marketing
Professor Elaine Luther's education, work experience, and professional affiliations provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required to teach in multiple disciplines across the School of Business and the University curriculum. Her regular course load extends from using her corporate and entrepreneurial experience when teaching freshmen in the Introduction to Business course to using her enrolled agent status (admitted to practice before the Internal Revenue Service) when helping advanced accounting majors master tax accounting. Luther draws upon her professional experience as well as her P.H.R. certification from the Society of Human Resource Managers when teaching human resource classes, including the capstone class for human resource majors. In addition, Luther administers the annual Business Plan Contest at Point Park University each year and recently launched a new course in "HR Policies in Electronic Communications."
Luther has 14 years of work experience at three Fortune 500 Corporations - PepsiCo., Allied-Signal (now part of Honeywell), and Schering-Plough. She started as a budget analyst at the Pepsi-Cola bottling plant and advanced to a director of finance working on mergers and acquisitions at Schering-Plough. While working at Schering, her contacts with college placement offices led Luther to her first classroom experience teaching Advanced Corporate Finance at Montclair State College (now University), in N.J. When she returned to Pittsburgh to start her own business providing accounting, computer, and tax services, she continued to teach several courses including accounting and information systems in the M.B.A. program at the Katz School of the University of Pittsburgh. After joining Point Park, she obtained a professional certification in human resources from the Society of Human Resource Managers and passed the enrolled agent exam given by the IRS. Luther maintains professional status in HR and Tax by earning 20-25 continuing education credits each year. The field project she completed for her doctoral program was on "How Nonprofits Use Information Systems for Fundraising, A Comparative Case Study."
Professional certifications and memberships
- P.H.R. certification from the Society of Human Resource Managers
- Enrolled agent, certified to represent clients before the IRS
- Professional status in HR and Tax by earning 20-25 continuing education credits each year
- Member, The Society of Human Resource Management
- Knowledge management
In the News
- "Heinz-Kraft merger reflects challenges for iconic brands," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 28, 2015.
- "H.J. Heinz buys Kraft to build $28 billion food giant," WTAE-TV, March 25, 2015.
- "Hello Bistro Another Example of Company Spin-Offs to Attract Customers," KDKA-TV, Dec. 9, 2014.
- "Fast Food Workers Demand Higher Wages at Protest Downtown," KDKA-TV, Dec. 4, 2014.
- "How to Get a Jump Start on Black Friday Shopping," KDKA-TV, Nov. 11, 2014.
- "Bottom Dollar Sold to Aldi, All 20 Pittsburgh Stores Closing," KDKA-TV, Nov. 6, 2014.
- "PNC Changes Course, Decides to Issue New Credit & Debit Cards," KDKA-TV, Oct. 30, 2014.
- "New Email Scam Involving Phony Packages Hits the Internet," KDKA-TV, Oct. 24, 2014.
- "Dollar Tree's Purchase of Family Dollar Could Be Good News For Consumers," KDKA-TV, July 28, 2014.
- "Telling the Secrets of Restaurants' Hidden Menus," KDKA-TV, May 15, 2014.
- "Heinz Offers Buyout to All Local Employees," KDKA-TV, April 14, 2014.
- "Importance of branding — even for cities," Pittsburgh Business Times, Dec. 27, 2013.
- "Cyber Monday Sales Likely to Last Well into December," KDKA-TV, Dec. 2, 2013.
- "Black Friday Seems Less Important Each Year," KDKA-TV, Nov. 4, 2013.
- "3 Credit Bureaus to Start Paying Closer Attention to Credit Card Balances," KDKA-TV, Nov. 1, 2013.
- "Halloween Expected to Provide Boost to Economy," KDKA-TV, Oct. 31, 2013.
- "Dick's Sporting to Open Niche Store in Cranberry," KDKA-TV, July 9, 2013.
- "Deals can mitigate risk of losing valued employees," Pittsburgh Business Times, June 7, 2013.
- "Top 10 Tips on Consumer Marketing for Food," Pittsburgh Business Times, March 14, 2013.
- "Best Buy Announces Store and Online Price Match," KDKA-TV, Feb. 18, 2013.
- "Website Turning Unwanted Gift Cards into Cash," KDKA-TV, Jan. 7, 2013.
- "Marketing Expert Separates Hottest Holiday Toys from Hype," KDKA-TV, Dec. 7, 2012.
- "Pepsi sold in Japan claims to block fat," KDKA-TV, Nov. 12, 2012.
- "Backlash Grows Against Teacher Salaries," KDKA-TV, Nov. 10, 2010.
Point Park Features
- "Students from Various Majors Compete in Fifth Annual Business Plan Contest," Point Park University website, Dec. 17, 2012.
- "Students Capitalize on New Course in 'HR Policies in Electronic Communications,'" Point Park University website, June 27, 2011.
- "Business Plan Contest Cultivates Students' Entrepreneur Skills," Point Park University website, Dec. 13, 2011.
- "Students Show Marketplace Savvy in Business Plan Contest," Point Park University website, Jan. 17, 2011.
- "Business Plan Contest Gives Students Real-World Challenge," Point Park University website, Jan. 29, 2010.