Associate Professor, Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management
- Bachelor of Arts, Theatre with concentrations in Lighting Design and Stage Management, Hope College
- Master of Fine Arts, Theatre Management and Arts Administration, University of Alabama
- Introduction to the Sports, Arts and Entertainment Business
- Sports, Arts and Entertainment Marketing and Promotion
David Rowell, M.F.A., associate professor of sports, arts and entertainment management, has taught and worked in theatre management all over the United States. Prior to joining Point Park, he was executive director of the Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center in Stowe, Vt. Before that, Rowell was an assistant professor and head of the M.F.A. theatre management program at Florida State University. In addition, Rowell has held leadership positions at the Luther F. Carson Four Rivers Center, The Mahaffey Theater Foundation, Peery's Egyptian Theatre and David Eccles Conference Center, and the Val A. Browning Center for the Performing Arts at Weber State University. Additionally, Rowell was responsible for oversight of construction, outfitting, initial operational planning, artistic programming and development, and the grand openings for the Spruce Peak PAC, the Carson Four Rivers Center and Peery’s Egyptian Theater.
- "Fundamentals of Social Media," co-presented workshop with Chad Herzog, Baton Rouge, La., Sept. 2011.
- "Introduction to Presenting," "Relationship Building in Presenting," and "Facebook 101 for Presenters/Artists," Professional Development at Performing Arts Exchange, Norfolk, Va., Sept. 2009.
- "To Be or Not to Be, or To Be Smart. Best practices and models in the building and development of new artistic ventures in today's environment," Inaugural Symposium on Entrepreneurship and the Arts, Phoenix, Ariz., Nov. 2008.
- ""Introduction to Presenting," "Relationship Building in Presenting," and "Fundamentals of Audience Development," Professional Development at Performing Arts Exchange, Atlanta, Ga. Sept. 2008.
- "Connecting with Technology for artists using Web 2.0," co-presented with Jeri Goldstein, Florida Department of Cultural Affairs Conference on Technology, June 2008.
- "Fundamentals of Audience Development and Retention," National Arts Leadership Institute, Louisville, Ky., Sept. 2007.
- Association of Performing Arts Presenters
- South Arts/Performing Arts Exchange
- Western Arts Alliance
- National Association of Performing Arts Managers and Agents (NAPAMA), board of directors, 2000-2006
- LiveArts Peninsula Foundation, board of directors and founding board member, 2000
- Actors' Equity Association, 1986-2001
- Florida Professional Presenters Consortium
- IATSE Local #99, 1993-1999
Grant Panelist Appointments
- Vermont State Arts Council, 2011
- Kentucky State Arts Council, 2003
- Florida State Arts Council, 2001-2003, 2005-2006, and 2008
- Utah State Arts Council, 1998-1999
- Pinellas County Arts Council, 2006 and 2001
- Pennsylvania Performing Arts on Tour, 2005, 2007-2008, and 2010
In the News
- "Student artists crossing over into business world," Pittsburgh Business Times, Aug. 28, 2015.
- "Point Park Students Mix Business & Music Through New Record Label," NakYouOut.com, March 31, 2015.
Point Park Features
- "Professor Leads Webinar on Social Marketing in the Performing Arts Industry," Point Park University website, March 22, 2016.
- "SAEM Students Expand Professional Network in Performing Arts Industry at APAP Conference," Point Park University website, Feb. 3, 2016.
- "SAEM Students Assist with WWE Monday Night Raw at CONSOL Energy Center," Point Park University website, Dec. 8, 2015.
- "SAEM Professor Selected as a Facilitator for Performing Arts Conference," Point Park University website, July 1, 2014.
- "Broadway Actor Gives Students an Inside Talk on the Entertainment Industry," Point Park University website, Sept. 25, 2013.
- "Meet David Rowell, Assistant Professor of Sport, Arts and Entertainment Management," Point Park University website, Nov. 20, 2012.