Explore the topics below to find links to key information and online resources related to education majors.
- Application for Student Teaching Practicum
- Classroom Observation Form - Interactive
- Education UNDECLARED Information Sheet
- Field Experience Log Sheet
- Lesson Plan Guidelines
- Lesson Plan Template
- Lesson Reflection
- Observation Rubric
- Student Handbook - updated for 2012
- Student Teaching Application Spring 2013 - Part 1
- Student Teaching Application Spring 2013- Part 2
- Student Teaching Lesson Reflection Weeks 1-15
- Unit Plan Guidelines
Requirements for education majors
- PAPA and PRAXIS exams
- Teacher certification program - becoming declared
- Teacher certification through TIMS
Do you plan to student teach?
- Education Issues
- Evaluations of School Districts
- General Information on Pennsylvania
- PDE Job Search Database
- Public School Review
- Teacher Job Availability Clearinghouse
- Teaching Degrees, Continuing Education and Career Information
Educational Technology Labs
Technology labs on campus serve as valuable destinations for curriculum planning, preparation and research. You’ll find research tools for classroom projects, lesson plans and testing. You can access:
- Traditional resources
- Cutting-edge programs, such as PLATO, designed to sharpen your skills for the PRAXIS exams
- And, of course, the Internet
Learn more about our student technology resources at Point Park.
- The Pittsburgh Public School/University Collaborative provides you with the opportunity to choose an urban setting for your student teaching placement.
- The Pennsylvania Department of Education partnership offers technical assistance and conducts regular re-certification audits to assure high standards in teacher preparation.
- Point Park also participates in The Pittsburgh Educational Recruiting Consortium (PERC) which is held annually to recruit future educators and The Western Pennsylvania Career Services Annual Job Fair for College Graduates, which is geared toward graduates with bachelor’s or master’s degrees.
- Additional recruitment events are also held.
Faculty members keep current with educational trends through memberships in professional organizations.
Student affiliates and pre-service teachers may be associate members of many of these organizations. You’ll reap benefits that can greatly enhance your teaching and career opportunities:
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of University Professors
- American Counseling Association
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Society for Training and Development
- Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Association for Multicultural Education
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Education Association (NEA)
- Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators (PAC-TE)
- Pennsylvania Association for the Education of Young Children
- Pennsylvania State Educators Association (PSEA)
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers (PFT)
- School Performance Network (SPN)