Assistant Chief of Pittsburgh Bureau of Police
Maurita Bryant earned her M.S. degree in
criminal justice administration from Point Park.
Expand your career opportunities with two criminal justice degrees
Many entry-level positions in criminal justice — including those at federal agencies and institutions — now require a master's degree. Point Park is the first university in Pennsylvania to offer a five-year combined Bachelor of Science in criminal justice and Master of Science in criminal justice administration program. In other words, students have the opportunity to earn both an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree in just five years.
Individuals who enroll in this Downtown Pittsburgh program can take advantage of many key benefits including:
- Early admission into the graduate program;
- An opportunity to take six credits of graduate course work (at the undergraduate tuition price) during the last year of the B.S. program; and
- Five years of individual mentorship from experienced faculty who have worked directly in the criminal justice field.
Students in this program will receive guidance on selecting criminal justice internships and elective courses that will expand their career opportunities.
Criminal Justice Degree Program Course Offerings
Point Park offers a well-rounded education through its core curriculum and major-specific classes. Some of the courses in the five-year combined B.S./M.S. program include:
- Criminal Investigations
- Criminal Evidence
- Evolution of Policing
- Transnational Criminal Activities
- International Criminal Justice
- Fraud Investigations
- Corrections, Probation and Parole
- Criminal Justice Administration and Management (graduate course)
- Theories of Criminology (graduate course)
- Professional and Research Writing (graduate course)
For a comprehensive list of degree requirements and course descriptions, see the links at the top of the page.
Criminal Justice Internships
Point Park's criminal justice students have interned at various places throughout the region such as:
- Allegheny County Department of Corrections
- Allegheny County Jail
- District Attorney's Office
- Pittsburgh Bureau of Police
- Juvenile Court
- Federal Court
- Federal Probation
- Gwen's Girls
- Public Defender's Office
- Shuman Juvenile Detention Center
- The Bradley Center, Inc.
Criminal Justice Careers
Graduates with criminal justice degrees can pursue various career opportunities at the federal, state, county, city and township levels, such as:
- State and Local Policing
- Federal Law Enforcement
- Judicial System