Point Park University – See the Transformation
The Academic Village at Point Park University is a multi-block living and learning hub that is transforming the University campus and the Downtown neighborhood it inhabits. It is redefining the student experience, campus life and Point Park’s connection to the community.
- Students, city residents and businesspeople interact in a new green, urban park
- World-class speakers, spirited performances and athletic activities inform and delight students in a new Student and Convocation Center
- 40,000 theatergoers attend performances at the Pittsburgh Playhouse, soon-to-be located in the heart of Downtown Pittsburgh
- A green roof and other environmentally friendly building techniques create sustainable additions to a revitalized Downtown district and campus
- The energy and vitality of the 24/7 Academic Village pulse across Downtown and unite the Market Square and Cultural Districts
Phase I – Central Campus Development Project
Point Park’s vision is to be one of the most dynamic private, urban universities in America. The vision begins with facilities that give students, faculty and staff the environment they need to excel. Increasing enrollment, now and in the future, will not only create the expansion needed to fulfill this vision, but also animate the new campus with diversity, creativity and vibrancy.
Student And Convocation Center
The former YMCA building on the Boulevard of the Allies will be transformed to encompass areas for group and quiet study; advanced computer labs; a gymnasium and health center; student organization offices; a multi-purpose student lounge for lectures, performances and other activities; and an 1,800-seat space for community events and activities.
Urban Corner Park
The old surface parking lot at the corner of Wood Street and Boulevard of the Allies is now the site of a lively park, featuring such amenities as a tree canopy, glass stair tower, dramatic water feature, and outdoor cafe, all to be enjoyed by the University community and the larger neighborhood.
Wood Street Corridor
Trees, banners, paving, traffic and crosswalk safety features, and other enhancements will make this a premier pedestrian corridor.
Phase II – Point Park University’s Pittsburgh Playhouse
In 1968, Point Park breathed new life into the Pittsburgh Playhouse by converting it into the University’s performing arts center. Now, Point Park will reinvigorate the Pittsburgh arts scene once again with the construction of a new Pittsburgh Playhouse on Forbes Avenue in Downtown Pittsburgh.
Downtown Pittsburgh: A Vibrant Urban Center
With one of the largest footprints in the Golden Triangle, Point Park plays a significant role in the transformation of Downtown Pittsburgh into a vibrant, urban neighborhood where people work, live and play 24/7.