Explore the evolving world of communications and media
The School of Communication offers current high school students two exciting opportunities to visit campus and learn what it's like to study in one of our innovative communications majors. During the summer, individual students can take part in our week-long Media Workshops, an intensive, hands-on experience that has participants producing print and online projects. During the academic year, school groups visit for High School Media Day, one in the fall, one in the spring.
We welcome your interest in the School of Communication and invite you to explore our programs, meet our faculty members and talk with our current students. We look forward to meeting you!
Check back for the 2015 workshop information
Point Park University campus, Downtown Pittsburgh
Explore Your Future in Journalism!
The field of journalism and mass communication constantly changes. Technology has made the profession faster, more exciting and more rewarding. Get a taste of your career-to-be at one of our interactive, multimedia workshops – learn about writing, video, audio, photography and social media!
Students can choose from two workshops:
Students will have the opportunity to meet sports journalists from the region, tour major sports facilities and get a behind-the-scenes look at the business.
Arts and Entertainment Media
Students will get the chance to meet arts and entertainment journalists from the region, tour theaters and venues to get a behind-the-scenes look at the business.
What else will you learn in these workshops?
- Techniques for multiple media platforms
- How to use several types of media and relate them to your field of interest
- The value of networking with media professionals
Space is limited
- Cost includes one workshop, residence hall room, two meals per day and social activities. (Students stay overnight in a residence hall, Sunday-Friday, on campus).
- Scholarships are available to help defray cost.
- Cindy Orchard, email@example.com or 412-392-4743
- "High School Workshop Introduces Students to Careers in Multimedia Journalism"
- "High School Students Explore Careers in Journalism at Summer Media Workshops"
What past participants have said about Summer Media Workshops:
- "I really liked living on Point Park's campus because of the location. This week helped me decide that I want to attend a college in a city like Pittsburgh." — Shaler Area High School student
- "I want to be a news anchor, so my favorite experience was working in the TV studio and getting on-camera experience. I would recommend this workshop to students who are truly passionate about this field. It gave me such an outstanding example to what I want to do in my career." — Avonworth High School student
- "This is my second time doing this workshop. I highly enjoyed it last year, so I wanted to do it again before my senior year. I absolutely love Pittsburgh and can't wait to attend Point Park." — Wallenpaupack Area High School student
The School of Communication hosts High School Media Day twice a year at Point Park University. High school students and teachers are invited to the event to learn about media and communication industries.
Point Park faculty members lead interactive sessions within their specialty areas; topics include: advertising, broadcasting, media ethics, multimedia, photojournalism and public relations. The program includes lunch and the option to have a Point Park professor critique your high school’s student newspaper.
- "High School Students Explore Creative Careers for a Changing Media World"
- "School of Communication Hosts High School Media Day for Prospective Students"
Previous Media Day sessions have included:
- Broadcasting — Go for Green!
- Print — Tell Me About It!
- Advertising and PR Moneyball
- Multimedia/Web — Build it and They Will Come
- Photojournalism — That Photo Isn't Yours
- Photojournalism II — Illustrator 101
- Law/Ethics — First Amendment Freedom
- Careers — Tips for Getting your First Job or Internship
- Broadcasting — Announcing 101
- Multimedia/Web — May I Tweet You?
What past participants have said about Media Day:
- “It's nice to be on Point Park's campus to see what it looks like and experience the atmosphere in Downtown Pittsburgh. It's a great way to be introduced to a field I'm interested in.” — North Allegheny Senior High School student
- “I've brought my students to High School Media Day for more than 10 years. Our students love it because they get experience and gain exposure to areas they didn't know interested them.” — Mars Area High School teacher
- "I participated in media day and had the opportunity to meet professors who had real-world work experience. I loved being in a city, right in the heart of the news and close to big news agencies." — Alumna Nikki Porter, reporter/anchor
- I considered Point Park after attending a journalism workshop. I discovered Point Park’s multimedia major that had this unique combination. I was also impressed by its small class sizes, city location and great reputation." — Alumna Erin Price, web designer/developer